Thursday, April 18, 2013

SPOT THE DIFFERENCE: When to use MAKE and DO

Goooood morning!!!! I'm very happy today!!! I love waking up early, especially when I have time to stop by the bakery and get some fresh chocolate croissant... hmmmm!!! So good!!!
Bommmm dia!!!! Estou muito feliz hoje!!! Adoro acordar cedo, especialmente quando tenho tempo para dar uma passada na padaria e comprar croissant de chocolate fresquinho... hummmm!!! Muito bom!!!

Guys, take a look, we have here something that is quite confusing for many learners of English: when we use MAKE and DO. In Portuguese it's even worse because both words have the same basic translation which is "FAZER". Depending on the collocation, it changes a little, for example, MAKE A MISTAKE is not translated by "FAZER um erro" but "COMETER um erro". Anyway, it's good to have in mind a general rule:
Pessoal, deem uma olhada, temos aqui uma coisa que é bem confusa para muitos que estão aprendendo inglês: quando usamos MAKE e DO. Em português é ainda pior porque ambas as palavras têm a mesma tradução básica que é "FAZER". Dependendo da colocação, muda um pouco, por exemplo, MAKE A MISTAKE não é traduzido por "FAZER um erro" e sim "COMETER um erro". De qualquer forma, é bom ter em mente uma regra geral:


MAKE 
related to the preparation of something
relacionado com a preparação de algo

DO 
related to an activity
relacionado com uma atividade


For example, if I MAKE an English exercise, it means I prepared, I wrote the exercise to my students; and if I DO an English exercise, the exercise is ready and I'm testing myself, practicing English with that exercise.
Por exemplo, se eu faço um exercício de inglês, significa que eu preparei, eu escrevi o exercício para os meus alunos; e se eu faço um exercício de inglês, o exercício está pronto e estou me testando, praticando inglês com o exercício.

Remember that some uses of MAKE and DO are strictly that way, that is, they are collocations and should be known by heart.
Lembrem-se que alguns usos de MAKE e DO são estritamente daquela forma, ou seja, há colocações e devem ser conhecidas de cor.

No comments:

Post a Comment